The Senior Manager RAN is responsible for developing and enhancing the Radio Access Networks strategy to ensure that MTN is tactically deploying appropriate and catering for future Radio Network technology capabilities. The role is accountable for providing technical specialist support for the Radio Network, across all MTN OPCOs. The role also provides technical guidance and tactical strategic execution on the evolution and convergence of radio networks to a next generation IP network.
Quality of the network is a distinguishing factor, with Radio Access Network quality being central to the MTN customer experience. Flexibility and agility in adapting to the rapidly evolving radio technology domain (throughput, latency, new standards and competing technologies) will determine the success of this position, whilst controlling for time, budget, quality and performance.
The Senior Manager RAN will be accountable to achieve the following objectives:
- Provide input into the development of Group RAN planning, optimisation standards and strategies, with a key focus on managing coverage, quality of network and enhanced customer experience across the MTN Group.
- Identify and evaluate key local and global radio access technological trends, develop and implement strategies to counter / minimize possible impact on the architecture and integrity of current Radio Access Network and subsequent iterative rollouts.
- Provide RAN roadmap input, in line with the future network vision and communicate to Group Vendors and OPCOs
- Engage with Network Vendors and Device OEM’s on technical matters relating to RAN performance and quality.
- Negotiate with Radio Access Network Vendors on behalf of the Group.
- Regular review, update and standardize Group RAN configs considering the requirements from all OPCOs and new innovations/products from RAN vendor
- Engage with and support cross-functional technical teams (i.e. Core and Transport) to ensure synergy across various departmental functions and improve network quality and overall MTN customer experience.
- Support the design, planning and optimisation of Mobile Broadband Radio Access Networks.
- Provide guidance on the deployment strategy for Access and next generation IP Convergence – (i.e. services provided, target areas, spectrum strategy, FWA strategy).
- Participate in the evaluation and selection of Group RAN Vendors for Radio Access Networks, focusing on additional Spectrum Capacity, Cost Optimisation, Technology Assessment and Vendor Performance.
- Manage performance of RAN actively, through dashboard KPI development and monitoring. Special focus on Network NPS reports and improvements for all the OPCOS.
- Co-ordinate trials and working groups for Radio Access Network initiatives across the Group, to fully utilise skills pool and encourage knowledge sharing and key learnings across the Group.
- Provide Technical support to relevant stakeholders on all Radio Access Network related issues.
- Manage contractor relationships and coordinate / oversee the activities of Group vendors, ensuring adherence with stipulated timelines, quality and other contract terms (SLA’s).
- Assist in the resolution of major, escalated problems on relating to the Radio Access Network.
- Assist OPCOs with the planning and execution of RAN rollout projects, in compliance with agreed implementation schedule.
- Confirm compliance with best practices and standards in the implementation of RAN rollouts.
- Collaborate with OEMs and partners to enhance the technical testing capabilities within MTN Lab in South Africa.
- Co-ordinate trials and evaluate different types of Satellite providers ranging from HAP, LEO, MEO, GEO to extend network coverage capabilities.
- Key customers: MTN OpCos, Group Technology, Group Strategy and M&A, Group Commercial
- Key suppliers: Key Technology Partners, Group Vendors, Relevant Industry Bodies
- Minimum of 4-year tertiary degree (B.Sc. Electrical / Communications Engineering)
- MBA or Masters advantageous
- Relevant Project Management certification (e.g. Prince 2 – advantageous)
- Fluent in English
- Fluent in French and Arabic (advantageous)
- Manager track record of 5 years or more; with at least 3 years in relevant sector / industry/ area of specialisation
- Worked across diverse cultures and geographies advantageous
- Experience working in a medium to large organization
- Address Johannesburg, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, , ZA
- Salary Offers Negotiable USD Negotiable Month