The role of a surveyors is to understand all types of risks and its exposures that we write and provide a view on whether continued business is viable. This required risk surveyors to be technically skilled. The risk information provided by the surveyors allows the organisation to determine whether the risk will be treated, tolerated, terminated, or transferred. This function is at the core of capabilities provided by the risk surveying team. The role of the risk surveyors translates Santam’s aspiration of being a risk management partner into action.
The surveying role is a critical function within risk services. Surveyors conduct site inspections and evaluate risks based on information provided by clients, and by desktop reviews of previous surveys and information and photographs provided by clients and brokers.
This role allows for a surveyor to work independently and to assess risks according to Santam’s and National standards. This position has a training component in that to become proficient in more complex risks the surveyor may work under supervision of a Senior and Head Surveyor as well as provide some on the job training where required. The surveyor will work within the prescribed parameters of the role and the relevant Head Surveyor.
This role may have a consulting function where the surveyor will be called upon to consult on risks and to provide advice to Surveyors, Underwriters, Relationship managers, Technical managers, Brokers and Clients regarding the risk and alternatives to the risk reduction requirements.
Survey delivery requirements:
- Conduct surveys within the required SLA
- Achieve the agreed productivity levels
- Provide feedback and corrections to supervised surveys
- Provide feedback on all queries received
- Provide the appropriate advice to clients, Brokers and internal staff as required
- Review external survey report and provide feedback
- Understanding all the legislative requirements/Bylaws
- Understanding the area of operations and hazards (Geographical areas and risks associated) (Process in respect of production and the function and safety of the machinery)
- Interact with various stakeholders (distribution, operations, underwriting and intermediaries) to ensure delivery of our world class surveying competency.
- Provide feedback and comment on rational designs.
- Engage with internal and external stake holders (Broker Distribution, Operations etc.) to get buy-in and understanding of our need to survey risks and ensure effective execution of survey processes.
- Provide surveying guidance and support to all Santam Group companies including MiWay, SEM, Namibia and Specialist business as required.
- Engage with external stakeholders (brokers) to educate/ inform, where relevant, and explain survey processes or risk reduction requirements
Qualifications and Experience
- 3+years of risk surveying or related experience
- Matric and ideally Fire Service Qualification, Technical Engineering Degree or Diploma, or relevant qualification, Minimum NQF level 4
- Valid driver’s licence
- Computer literate on Excel, Word, Presentations, etc.
- Competency at previous level and proven competence at risk surveying, with experience in retention class and exposure stipulated above.
- FPA advanced courses, risk prevention strategies, technical training for related risks – entry level Prive’, high hazard risks, thatch.
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to learn and research
- Ability to manage own work environment
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills and abilities
- Communication Skills
- Understanding of basic fire hazards, firefighting, risk identification
- Basic report writing
- Use of MS Office Products
- Use of policy information systems
- Work in other regions
- Capacity to operate under pressure
- Knowledge of Underwriting and underwriting processes
- Knowledge of the policy wording
- Address East London, East London, East London, , ZA
- Salary Offers Negotiable USD Negotiable Month